Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

When I was in highschool, Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut was my favorite book. It actually had nothing to do with Breakfast or Champions, but it was a pretty funny satirical read.

I may have mentioned that I finally got my copy of the Feedzone Cookbook last week after it was back-ordered a couple months. There are some pretty awesome recipes in there, but the ones that stick out most are the breakfast dishes.

For years my staple has been Old Fashioned Oats cooked with water, and then peanut butter mixed in. I probably eat that 6 days per week on average. My favorite breakfast recipe I've tried so far is the muesli. I've modified the recipe slightly to meet my vegan needs.

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup soy milk
a large dollop of vanilla soy yogurt
a good sprinkle of cinnamon
a handful of raisins
a small diced apple (I've been using jazz apples since the fit in my juicer without having to cut them. They are also a perfect size for this muesli)

You just let the ingredients sit overnight in a covered Tupperware, and they are ready in the morning. No cooking is required. It works great since I'm out of the house at 5:30 am. I can grab the container, head to work, and eat it at my desk. It's about 11 grams of protein and only about 250 calories. It's easy to eat, tastes good, and leaves me pretty satisfied for a few hours.

If you aren't vegan, some greek yogurt would probably work awesome.

I'll probably keep eating this two or 3 times per week at work. The other days I'll treat myself to some Peanut Butter and Co "Dark Chocolate Dreams" mixed with some old fashion oats. It doesn't get much better than that, and I feel like I'm in some weird way supporting cycling since they sponsor a pro women's team :)

1 comment:

  1. I just received a copy of that book as well. Haven't had a chance to look through it yet, but that recipe does sound good.

    Oh and I've always just used plain organic PB. I'll have to give the PB & Co stuff a shot soon.

    ReplyDelete