Saturday, January 24, 2015

Day 24 - Being able to train with my wife

I’m really blessed to have a wife who takes training and racing as seriously as I do. I think we are able to have a much better standing about each other than couples who don’t share this as an interest. We understand why one of us might wake up at 4:30 am (usually that’s Sarah) to get in a workout before a long day of work, or why one of us is out unitl 10:00pm riding in the dark to burn off stress of a long day (that’s usually me). We can both relate to how the endorphins of a good workout completely changes our mood, and how missing a workout can really bum us out. When a race doesn’t go as well as we planned, we might not have the right words to say to each other, but at least we have a mutual understanding of how that person is feeling.

This is a tough season to sync our training together. She’s been working a lot and doing some travel, so it’s all about squeezing her training in when it fits, like very early in the morning. She doesn’t enjoy night rides outside as much as I do. For her, getting a very specific workout done on a trainer is better, and it’s super efficient. Plus, this is the time of year where my training becomes more specific. Her A race is later in the season than mine, so our training plans are a little off. I should be putting in more intensity than she is. 

With her long work days, inconsistent schedules, serving at church, and training, it’s a bit more of a struggle to spend as much time as we want together. (Trying to write this blog every day this month at 8:00 at night after training doesn’t help either). I really can’t imagine what it would be like if we didn’t have the mutual understanding about training. Once the race season starts, my time spent doing intervals will decrease a bit. The days will also be longer. This will enable us to do a bit more riding together, which I’m really looking forward to. Riding together is something I never want to take for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment